Voice Search Optimization
We’re sure you’ve heard the term “Voice Search” before but if not, you’ve come to the right place! So what is Voice Search, exactly? Google Voice Search aka Google Assistant is a feature that allows users to speak their question into a computer or mobile phone that is then translated into text which is then searched. Why get involved with voice search? Maybe you’ve had great success with traditional search ads and are hesitant to change but in Digital Marketing, early adapters almost always win the performance game. Naturally, the ability to search for the information you want by speaking instead of typing is far more convenient, and this trend is only likely to become more prevalent in the future. We’re here to show you how voice search is going to play a significant role in the future of search marketing and how you can adjust your strategy to make sure you still show up for voice searches.
Here are five tips to help you prepare:
1) Audit Your Current Content: Before moving forward with anything else, it’s important to evaluate your current strategy and see what has worked for you and hasn’t. Reviewing keywords that have brought success can help you build a separate voice search campaign with relevant long-tail keywords. Think about what you would say when searching for information on your phone. For local businesses, terms like “near me” or “closest” or “best” are all going to be used frequently, so optimizing your campaign to fit the mold is a great way to prepare.
2) Consider Position Zero: Position zero, also called featured snippets or answer boxes in Google, refers to the block of text at the very top of a search results page, and it answers your search query. Showing up here gives you a competitive advantage for two reasons, the first being that your name is the first thing the user sees on the screen, and part two is that you are establishing yourself as an expert on the topic which improves your reputation. So how can you appear in position zero for voice searches? A great way to start is by searching for questions pertaining to your business and seeing what doesn’t currently have a featured snippet answer in position zero. Then you can take your list and create relevant content on your website. You will have a better chance to earn that ranking before any competitors if you take the time to optimize your own page for these search query’s.
3) Consider Your Online Reputation: Just as with regular search, your online reputation is vital when it comes to voice search. Anyone looking for your products or services will always take online reviews and testimonials into consideration when deciding who to buy from or which service they want to use. Most businesses have a Google My Business listing to showcase reviews and improve their online reputation, anything less than 4 stars is a sign that there is an issue and you should do your best to resolve the issue with that customer or at a minimum, respond to it. If you think your online reputation could have been damaged in any way it may be a good idea to consult an online reputation management service to resolve the issue. You can schedule a free consultation with AdEdge to discuss our online reputation building program to ensure your business has the online reputation it deserves.
4) Use Simple Language: Like we mentioned earlier, it’s important to incorporate terms on your website and in your ads that will pertain to voice search. Most people will be short and concise with their requests because they will be on the go when searching for the information they want. Unlike with regular search, it won’t be ideal to use long tail keywords as much as short phrases in order to optimize for voice search. Keep this in mind with any content you’ve already published, and when creating new content moving forward.
5) Create Relevant Content: Focusing on content that pertains to your ideal customer is what will give you an advantage with voice search. Instead of talking about broad topics, target your topics toward those specific individuals who’s business you are trying to earn. you will likely gain more traction this way when it comes to voice search and have a higher ranking on the search engine results page.
Takeaway: As voice search becomes more popular, it’s important to take a step back and evaluate your current efforts. Optimizing your content, and implementing best practices will ensure you have success with voice search and ensure your business continues to rank on Google’s SERP’s. If you have any questions about the new voice search trend, you can contact one of our digital marketing experts for a free consultation or visit AdEdge Digital Marketing for more information.